Thursday, July 30, 2009

Blackwork




I have taken over the position as Program chair for my primary EGA chapter. My "reign of terror", oops, I mean I don't begin in the position until the beginning of the year, but that means I have to have programs ready by November for photographing for the new yearbook.
On the top is a free pattern by Laura J. Perin. Although it is Blackwork, Blackwork does not have to be done in black. So I chose a variegated size 12 perle coton that was dyed by Laura Wasilewski. I didn't pre-wash the thread. I was hoping that when I washed the piece after stitching that some of the dye would run and it did. It now has a wonderful mottling on the hardanger fabric. It is wonderful.
I finished it as a needle case.
The picture at the bottom is based on a Blackwork sampler that appeared in EGA's Needle Arts magazine. Instead of doing the sampler, I used four of the patterns to make this name tag. The thread is DMC white floss that I dyed in a variegated blue.
The edging is stitched using a hemstitch. It has a faint blue cast to it in places. I used another DMC floss that I dyed for the hem also. None of the thread bled when I washed it. I pre-washed and set the dyes before hand so I wasn't expecting anything to bleed.
Now I just have to finish making it into a name tag.

No comments: