Thursday, March 6, 2008

RAW



After meeting NanC Meinhart and touring her gallery and shop, I have developed a new respect for and interest in RAW or Right Angle Weave. My first love as far as off loom bead weaving is peyote stitch, but RAW is probably just as flexible a stitch and much more drapey. Peyote can be very drapey in free-form but RAW is drapey from the get go.

For beading, my favorite color is green. It works with everything. Just look outside and you will find it paired with every imaginable color. I almost have to force myself to use other colors as my primary color.

Being inspired by NanC, I began this necklace. The top picture is what it looks like at this point. It is a semi-circle that has been sewn together as a tube in part and folded over itself in other areas.

I worked the piece at first from small beads to large and then from large to small. I got a better curve working from large to small. I also used a variety of different shapes, as you can see from the close up at right.

It is still drapey and wonderful to the touch.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.